Friends of the ATA
Welcome to Clinical Thyroidology for Patients, bringing to you, the patient, the most up-to-date, cutting edge thyroid research. What you read here as research studies will likely become the accepted practice in the future. Clinical Thyroidology for Patients is published on a monthly basis and includes summaries of research studies that were discussed in a recent issue of Clinical Thyroidology, a publication of the American Thyroid Association for physicians. This means that you, the patients, are getting the latest information on thyroid research and treatment almost as soon as your physicians.
We will be providing even faster updates of late-breaking thyroid news through Twitter at @thyroidfriends and on Facebook. Our goal is to provide you with the tools to be the most informed thyroid patient in the waiting room. Also check out our friends in the ATA Alliance for Thyroid Patient Education. The Alliance member groups consist of: the American Thyroid Association, the Graves' Disease and Thyroid Foundation, the Light of Life Foundation, ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors Association, Thyroid Cancer Canada and Thyroid Federation International.
Drs Iagaru and Farwell discuss Thyroid Cancer Imaging and Therapy in Thyroid Cancer
IN MEMORIAM -- Dr. Boris Catz and Dr. Ernest Mazzaferri
Clinical Thyroidology for Patients
Up-to-date information to help you understand thyroid disease through the latest research.
In this issue, the studies ask the following questions:
- Is there an increased risk of hypothyroidism in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes?
- Is childhood obesity associated with hypothyroidism in adulthood?
- Does socioeconomic status affect the diagnosis of thyroid cancer?
- Is thyroid cancer more aggressive in patients with Graves' disease?
- Is serum thyroglobulin the best test to follow thyroid cancer patients that have not been treated with radioactive iodine?
We welcome your feedback and suggestions. Let us know what you want to see in this publication. I hope you find these summaries interesting and informative.
— Alan P. Farwell, MD
HYPOTHYROIDISM Subclinical hypothyroidism is a frequent finding in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes
HYPOTHYROIDISM Childhood weight gain and obesity are associated with adult hypothyroidism and autoimmune thyroid disease
THYROID CANCER Rising thyroid cancer rates are not related to socioeconomic status and access to medical care
THYROID CANCER Thyroid cancer exhibits aggressive behavior in Graves' disease
THYROID CANCER Long-term surveillance with serum thyroglobulin might not be worthwhile in patients with very-low-risk thyroid cancer
The goal of our Alliance is to provide accurate and reliable information for patients about the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of thyroid diseases.
We look forward to future collaborations and continuing to work together towards the improvement of thyroid education and resources for patients.
2013 Spring Appeal
Your support creates opportunities for thyroid education and thyroid awareness around the world! Annual contributions to the ATA provide invaluable funding for thyroid research and education for patients and professionals such as the following:
- Groundbreaking new discoveries resourced by Thyroid Research Grants expanding the exploration in thyroid hormone function and thyroid cancer research.
- Outreach to you, the patient and public community, supporting free news of the latest thyroid research sent to more than 12,000 Friends of the ATA.
- Standards of care and guidelines developed for you and your physician by renowned experts in the field of thyroid disease and thyroid cancer.
We hope to provide you with new and continuing hope. We care about you and millions of others who are suffering from thyroid disease. We hope that you will join our efforts in creating new achievements. You can be of inspiration to others by making a difference in 2013! Contribute a tax-deductible gift of $10, $15, or perhaps $75 or more to enable ATA to continue its mission to serve your needs for better care, better treatment and better diagnosis!
Please make your spring donation to the ATA today!
5 | Ways to Contribute
- DONATE ONLINE Visit http://www.thyroid.org/support-thyroid-research/ to find more information about how your contribution makes a difference in the lives of thyroid patients, families and the physicians who treat thyroid disease. Select the 'Give Online' link to make a credit card donation today!
- USE THE GIVING FORM Write a check to the American Thyroid Association, just complete and print the giving form and send to: American Thyroid Association, 6066 Leesburg Pike, Suite 550, Falls Church, VA 22041.
- CONTRIBUTE BY PHONE The ATA can accept contributions by phone, so please give us a call at ATA Headquarters and we will be happy to discuss your contribution and assist with your donation – (703) 998-8890. You may also contact us by email with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CAPITAL ONE CARD Show your support with every purchase you make! You are invited to apply for our special Visa® Platinum credit card through Capital One Card Lab Connect. As a valued supporter,1% of every purchase you make is automatically donated to our organization. Plus, Capital One will donate $25 after you make your first purchase. Apply now and you can make supporting our cause a simple.
- ESTATE AND PLANNED GIVING See the ATA website for information on Planned Gifts which offer a donor many of the same benefits that an outright gift to a charity provides, such as: charitable tax deduction; avoidance of capital gains tax on appreciated property, securities and collectibles; removal of assets from potential estate taxation; control of where the estate's "social capital" is used; personal satisfaction in supporting a worthy cause; and recognition for your charitable support while living.
ATA is a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization. Your gift is deductible according to tax law. A copy of the ATA's most recent audited financial information is available online
You are appreciated by the American Thyroid Association for your contribution!